Wednesday 15 August 2012

Birth (part 1)

This morning, there was talk over the radio over the matter of the birth-rate, and why people were unwilling to have children. And, of course, what could be done to 'encourage' them to start conceiving. Fortunately, I arrived at the place where I am employed before the end of that program. I say 'fortunately' because continuing to listen to some of the 'excuses' offered would have raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels, so I should be glad to have missed the ordeal. Yet, in response to what I had heard, I felt compelled to put this down at once. Note that I am only putting down my own thoughts on the matter, and not trying to force my readers to go one way or another. Family-planning should remain the purview of the family members. For those who would feel offended by encouragements to have children: STOP READING! Most of the complaints that I heard this morning dealt with the two following aspects of fathering/bearing children: time and money. Given the situation here, I do not disagree with them. These two aspects of childbirth do deserve a good, hard look: First, money. Having a child costs money. I have friends who are blessed with three or more children, and I can see that they are concerned with the financial conditions involved in raising the same. So, yes. In cases where one's cash is strapped, having children becomes secondary, compared to keeping one's heart, mind and body together. But how much money is enough money? How much does one need to start a family? Ask that question of a hundred people, and you'll get a hundred different answers. There is, apart from the initial cost of bearing the child, the additional monetary output required to get her/him ready for adulthood, according to some. And more is needed to prepare the same for society, especially if one wishes one's offspring to ascend the social ladder. To all these dreams and their dreamers, I would only say that I have never seen my own father's wishes as something that I need to fulfil. And if he can't accept that, it's his bloody problem, not mine. As for my daughter, I do not believe in setting any special goals for her. In fact, she shocks me with her answers each time anyone asks her what she intends to become when she grows up! A good laugh too, if one lets go of the blinders that one has on as a parent. So, the money issue is something that we should set into perspective: if one can spend $100,000 or more on a vehicle, couldn't that sum be used to have a child instead? There is no such thing as a child budget. The hundred different answers that I mentioned above are all correct in one way or another. If one truly intends to look at the issue, then sit down with your spouse and work out what you can afford, and what you need to have child. And remember to leave out those things that you can do without (such as that new mercedes!). If the former exceeds the latter, then you'll know that you can afford to have a child, don't you? And you'll also know what you'll be 'sacrificing' to become a parent as well, won't you? Then the decision becomes more obvious: are you willing to give up those material things that you desire to become a father/mother? Or will you hold on to these objects of desire instead, knowing full well that you will leave them behind when you go into the afterlife? Knowing full well, that these objects will not grow, will not give you headaches and heartaches? That they will not leave you crying from despair and from joy, just by watching them? It remains, after all, your own choice.

No comments: