Tuesday 17 July 2007

Objects of Desire

A moon ago, when my coffers were suddenly flush with the largesse of the Hegemon, I found myself wandering the stores of the City, staring at what trinkets they had to offer. Indeed, it was a good time to peruse their wares, for there was some collusion amongst the storekeepers to lower their prices, in anticipation of the proclaimed rise in taxes. People were out in droves, seeking to spend their coin ere it was taken away.

It was at one of the many shops that lined the King's Road by the Old Beach, when the flash of honed steel caught my eye. Like many others who profess a love of the Arts Martial, I have always been susceptible to the lure of metalwork. Long swords, in particular those of the style of the Empire of the Sun, have ever been my weakness. So when I saw what was displayed in the window of that shop, I found myself striding within, even before I was aware of it. The message had missed my mind altogether, traveling from eye to feet in a moment.

The youth who tended the store was courteous and his welcome grew warmer still when my knowledge of weapons became apparent. The Swords of the Sun Kings were popular, and recent works by popular authors had only increased their desireability. We had a rather animated discussion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of those blades described in these works, particularly the massive two-handed swords: one wielded by a certain white-haired villain while the other, with a black blade, that belonged to an orange-haired student. Having replicas of these weapons available in the shop only encouraged our exchange, of course.

But in the end, I could not be diverted from my original purpose. As I have stated before, the Swords of the Sun Kings were my weakness. Three weapons did I remove from their stands and brandished to measure their length and weight. The heaviest of the trio was also the shortest. It had a thick blade, though it was not as wide as those of the other two. The second had a blade of folded steel, which I hold to be the most beautiful. The last, however, was unique in the fact that it did not have a guard.

I desired them all, I will freely admit. But I was loath to purchase all three, and not because of the paucity of my purse. Indeed, the generosity of the Hegemon had been great this last moon. However, my time was limited, as was the amount of space that was readily available in my rather meagre room:

Weapon-steel was hard to maintain, requiring a substantial amount of care and work to maintain them in their bright, polished state. They needed to be cleaned daily, and coated with oil or wax after each cleaning. Possessing two other swords of weapon-grade steel, I knew that I could, at most, upkeep one more blade. Thus, I found myself agonizing over which of the trio I should buy. Those who know of my other interests will see the reference to another swordsman, who also happens to be a pirate. Fortunately for me, I do not suffer from his inability to navigate even the simplest of towns.

Eventually, I made my decision. The latest of my acquisitions now graces the shelf next to its brethren, waiting as they do, for a time that I may fulfill the purpose for which they were made. Like any true swordsmen, I am resolved to meet death and mete death. But I also hope that such a time shall never come.

But which of them did I purchase, you ask.

Well, I shall reveal that shortly....

No comments: