Tuesday 17 July 2007

The Road Goes Ever On

I have just been reminded that I am due to make a journey, to the Beautiful Land, no less. Not of my own account do I travel there. Indeed, I do not lightly travel - loads of luggage! That's the way I do it! It is a flaw in my character, I suppose, and quite besides the point. The crux of the matter is that I have been tasked to make this voyage. Which means work there, and more work when I return. Not to mention the work that I would have done had I not gone.

A deluge of work awaits.

Sigh!

So to the State of Virgins I must go. From all that I have heard, there is absolutely nothing to do there, and nothing to see. Well, the last is not exactly true: there is some exhibition of sorts, pertaining to the uprising against the Sceptred Isle. A decisive battle, it is claimed. But I shall not let my spirits be uplifted by this small thing, for fear that I shall be dissappointed as I usually am, by the loud claims and bombast of the Eagle people.

Nor do I expect other recreation. All I can pray for is a suitably endowed library. And perhaps, some(?) alcohol. I wonder what are the rules regarding drunkeness? I shall have to find out before I go.

Boredom, in all likelihood, beckons.

Double sigh!

But wait, there is one more nail to hammer home: the period that I am to be away coincides with my wedding anniversary!

I fear my wife shall not look kindly upon me when I break this news. Those of you who were witnesses to that happy(?) event shall undoubtedly remember that this year marks the tenth that I have been wed. I have been planning for some small celebration - provisions have been made to have my sister babysit. Now, it seems all has gone awry. What good can come out of this now? I am despondent.

Pray for me, my friends.

Beyond sighing.

1 comment:

Trebuchet said...

Eh, my family is in the unsullied land as well. Do you want to see them?