Tuesday 8 January 2008

Gatherings

It is strange how people believe that the year ahead is going to be better.

Of late, I have had the opportunity to meet with friends from three different periods of my life:

I had a small gathering at my home last weekend, an annual affair that has become somewhat of a tradition. Though this is only the second time that it has been held at my home. And, also becoming part of that tradition was that I prepared too much food again. Sigh. Fortunately, I am quite practised at dealing with leftovers. Those who came were from my University days, and were friend to both my wife and I.

After the meal, we sat down and engaged in the usual catching up. Whats, whens, hows and whos were tossed from one to another like a talking ball at a Organisation Learning Forum, as we sought to make sense of how our lives had diverged. As the conversation progressed, I was struck by how contented most of us were. And how we were looking forward to better things in the year ahead.

Some weeks before, I was at another gathering. This time, those present were from my Secondary school days, though many spouses were there too. Due to the last, there were some memories that could not be shared. Not that it mattered greatly, for we imbibed significant amounts of alcohol and were adequately pickled before we engaged in conversation. And a fine time was had by all. None of us, it appeared, had shared any troubles apart from the usual gripes against our neighbours. All seemed to have some inkling as to where their futures were going. And all appeared to be pleased with what they saw.

A little further back, before the mad rush to prepare for the Holy Day, the Corvidae gathered. And as custom dictated, we fed ourselves well, and made up for the lack of alcohol by consuming significant amounts of caffeinated beverages instead. The conversation was lively, and we dwelled not too much on what we had left behind us. Rather, we made plans to meet more frequently, and perhaps even resurrect an ancient game that we had laid to rest a good while ago.

Strange how all this optimism seemed to be contagious.


The year behind us has been a bit of a roller-coaster ride for me, truly. Work was hectic and oftimes, chaotic. Time was hardly on my side and the demands of raising a precocious daughter surprised me to no end. Oh, there were many pleasant memories made in running after my energetic scion, make no mistake. But there were times I wished I could just collapse.

I have been exhausted to varying degrees by the time I finally hit the sack, and there have been occasions when I questioned the purpose of my existence. Despite this, I must admit that I still feel a sense of hope, especially when I am surrounded by my friends. It is you who show me that work is not all there is, that sturm und drang shall pass, that talking about troubles eases the heart, that laughing about our children's antics keep us young, that the brainless idiots that cross our path deserve all the barbs we hurl at them, that it is worth our effort to be more gracious and that life itself is often its own reward.

So to everyone who has shared my days upon this earth, whether you know it or not, thank you. It has been an entertaining time indeed.


No comments: